We all know it’s important to get a professional to do the job, no matter whether you’re getting your car fixed, calling a plumber or going to the doctor. You want to know that the job has been done correctly, especially as it’s costing you.
Even bigger problems can be the result if you don’t have the problem fixed properly the first time. Or, you can end up having to pay to have the same problem fixed a second time. It’s important to hire the right HVAC contractor the first time you call one, and maintaining and installing your HVAC system must be done correctly to avoid potential issues in the future.
Why It’s So Important to Choose the Right Contractor
One of the biggest investments you’ll make is the HVAC system in your home, and it represents a major investment in keeping your family comfortable. When you know that it’s being taken care of by a reliable and experienced HVAC contractor, it can give you peace of mind and avoid issues in the future.
You may be tempted to save money by choosing the HVAC contractor with the lowest prices or one offering a special deal. However, the quality of the work may not be all that you expect it to be. Your HVAC system may simply have the same problems again before too long, or have even costlier issues if the problem isn’t addressed properly the first time around, and if the workmanship is below par to keep a contractor’s costs down, this can be a real problem. Having to pay for more costly repairs because something wasn’t fixed properly is not what you want to do.
To ensure you don’t have continuing problems with your HVAC system, choosing a reliable and experienced contractor the first time is a must.
What To Look For In An HVAC Contractor
You want to be assured your chosen contractor will do the best possible job, and these are some clues to look for:
Signs Of An Unreliable Contractor or Of Poor Work
- Communication with the customer is poor.
- Lower prices that just seem too low.
- Not all contractors do this, but be careful of being sold parts or services that you don’t really need.
- Claiming to have done work that, in reality, was not done.
- A solution or explanation seemingly too good to be true may be a sign of an unreliable HVAC contractor.
- Difficulty or reluctance answering your questions.
- Equipment and appearance do not make a positive impression.
- Lack of insurance and/or not licensed.
Signs Of a Reliable HVAC Contractor and Quality Work
- Shows respect to you, your family and home.
- Has all the tools and equipment needed.
- Able to answer your questions and seems knowledgeable and experienced.
- Responds to communication or requests from the customer and will determine the customer’s needs by asking questions.
- Is insured and licensed.
- Uses quality brand name parts and equipment.
- Determines the right size of your system by carrying out a load calculation.
Always ask questions; if you don’t understand something your contractor tells you, you can probably trust them if they willingly answer you, and the response seems to make sense. You may want to be wary if they seem to have difficulty answering your questions, or seem evasive or deceitful.
Many HVAC customers end up with a big headache when the contractor doesn’t register their products; to avoid problems, ask who registers that contractor’s warranties. And just as important is training; it’s acceptable to ask your contractor about their training, experience and background to ensure the work will be of quality.
Go With Your Gut Feeling
We all learn to trust our gut instinct and make a decision based on what we feel or a first impression, and that’s no different when it comes to choosing a good HVAC contractor. You may want to call the next person on your list if you just don’t get a good feeling about the person you are dealing with and if they seem evasive or don’t seem to be especially knowledgeable.
A Second Opinion
Online reviews and comments can give you a useful second opinion. And asking for references from a company is also an effective way to help feel you’ve made a good choice.